Friday, March 15, 2013

Book Review - Julia's Cats: Julia Child's Life in the Company of Cats, Patricia Barey & Therese Burson



Julia’s Cats: Julia Child’s Life in the Company of Cats

 

Patricia Barey, Therese Burson

                 

Category: nonfiction, biography, celebrity, Julia Child, France, cats

Synopsis: A biography of Julia Child, focusing on her all-abiding love for cats.

Date finished: 30 January 2013        

Rating: ****½

Comments: I believe the word for this book is “charming.” Utterly. What a nice little book this was, full of humor and happiness. It offered a nice overview of Child’s life. I was charmed by her confidence and by her playful relationship with husband Paul. I took a chance on this book; I worried that it could be too cutesy (it was, after all, about cats) or too much a literary stretch just to sell another book about Julia Child. It didn’t come across as either. The authors knew their mission and knew how much material they had. They didn’t overwrite or underwrite. My only complaint was all the French with no explanation. I’m sure I missed some witty jokes, but not all of us read French. People! I’ll add My Life in France back to my “To Read” shelf, I think.

Would you recommend this to a friend?
Yes, especially if they’re Julia people or cat people.

No comments:

Post a Comment